This is just a story that I want to dedicate to someone before we both walk our separate ways and ending everything once and for all. I know this is for the better for the both of us, as we have had enough of all this push and pull through the three years after our breakup. We've loved each other really deeply, enjoyed each other's presence and cherished every single moment so much that the more we stay together, the more hurt we'll become.
To be honest, it's not that I've have forgotten or you'd call, stop caring about this someone, it's just that I believe we need a breather / some time away from each other, at least for awhile. &I strongly believe he thinks the same too :')
Anyhow, this teary-eyed story will give this dedicated someone the answers he has always asked me and really wanted since 9th August 2008 which was when we first got together. He knows this very well, I've never told anyone such things, but I'll make him the exception to know my truest heartfelt answer.
Sunflower by "Jill the Potato Chip"
I'm a sunflower. I
take long to wilt, even without roots, and always looks like sunshine under the
light blue sky and fluffy floating clouds. I can rely on my owners to maintain
the soil, watering me every day and the brightest sunlight to support my bright
yellow petals, stringy brown roots and green sturdy stem through my lifetime. I
was once in this great nursery where I grew along with many other pretty
sunflowers, where I can have the greatest environment of my growth of the yellowiest
petals and planted under the most fertilised soil, along with the most
refreshing water until we had to spilt ways for the nursery had to close down.
Before we know it, there came the first owner who picked me up along the way
just before its closure.
This first owner of
mine was a great one who gave tender loving care; putting me into a pot to let
me to grow well under the good conditions he had given me. However, one day,
due to the lack of commitment on maintaining me; he brought me to an unfamiliar
nursery, left me alone and never came back.
The unfamiliar
place was a tranquil and unhappy one which had overcrowding flowering plantations
all over the place. Although some were nearby, but I never felt like I'm on the
same patch as them at all as they were almost of the same type of flower and
here I was being so different from them. It was equivalent to being an outcast
among the many flowers of the same type that were grown on the same patch as
where I was.
On one particular
day, he returned to the nursery to visit me to see the progress of my growth
without his presence. He had brought his new significant other along with him
and admittedly, my yellowness had reduced a little bit for giving in to the substandard
location that I was planted in which lacked almost everything for good
conditions for my optimal growth. That had indicated I was gone from his life
forever.
Soon after that
day, a new owner came to the nursery. He picked me up, shifted from my lousy location,
to one of a better place, and accepted me as his. I was more than happy enough
that I finally had such an owner who was ever willing to maintain me at my
best. He planted me with the most fertilised soil, bathed me with the most
refreshing water, and put me under the brightest sunlight. Though I was still
in that tranquil and unhappy place, nonetheless, I was still more than happy to
find such a great person who maintained me effortlessly. I have never felt so
loved more than ever before. Shortly after some time had passed, the part of me
who had once given in to the unhappiness of being alone was forgotten. He had
coloured my life and made me grow brighter and even helped to cut a big hole
through the sheltered tent that I was located at to grow under the greatest conditions.
Through the time I had
him as my owner; I knew I'll always be in his mind, regardless of wherever he
went. Sometimes, he even puts me into the loveliest pot that he kept in his
place and brought me home to show me to his family and friends of my yellowiest
petals. At other times, he will bring me back to the nursery I was once in.
Upon realisation that the other flowers had shifted to a new location of a better
environment, we hit for the place to see the many other of the same type of
flowers besides the “me” that he had held tenderly with his big and warm hands.
I knew he was definitely captivated by that panoramic view of “my friends” back
then.
However, to my
surprise, there was a particular day that he started to close up the hole he had
cut for me and wondered his reason for doing so. Just when I started to ponder,
he looked at me intensely and expressed the apologetic look on his face. I
could tell he was going to a place out of the country and would be unable to
take care of me for a period of time. While he was away, I waited patiently,
but he never came.
Slightly over a
month later, he returned to the nursery. He wasn't only unhappy to see me; he
brought a well-maintained dark pink rose with pretty bloomed petals along. In
my opinion, he must have liked it very much during the trip for it was so well
maintained. I was really envious of its radiant pink coloured petals, which had
definitely outshone my slightly reduced yellow petals.
Soon after, he had observed intensely between the two flowers, which
are I and the dark pink rose. By then, the rose’s petals were already reducing
its colour drastically even with everyday watering and bright sunlight. From
then, he had made the decision that the rose didn't hold as much of a candle to
me. He was fully aware that I had been the bright yellow flower that impersonated
the sunshine to make him smile, and the one that had shone through his
monotonous personal life. He knew I was his everything. Hence, he left the dark
pink rose to wilt and soon enough, it did.
Eventually, he
removed the stitches of the hole that he had once sewn, but hadn't yet realised
that some of my petals had already fallen onto the soil and started to wilt due
to the lack of sunlight and water that I lost while he was away. Adding on, he
was also not at all aware that in spite of everything that he did to maintain
me exactly the same way he did before he left, I wouldn't be as perfect as I
once was anymore.
Anyway, he maintained me well again. But strangely enough, this time, I
felt that it was especially different from that effortless way he did when he
first picked me. Somehow, I had felt the maintenance was no longer effortless,
but more of a burden on his shoulders. That made me feel queasy on my core, but
I took it in anyway. Some time passed. Eventually,
he had observed that my petals were not as bright as before and felt dejected
upon learning that realisation. He had then regretted not taking of me as
effortlessly alike to the time before he left me ever since he had returned
from his trip. But I knew it was all too late. I will never grow back to be as perfect
as before. Following that, he somehow fell into a deep depression for
“God-knows-the-reason-why” and before I knew it, he decided to cut off my
roots, and had left me with just my stem as support and water as my soil.
I had felt the excruciating
pain of emptiness when I first started living without my roots. The feeling is as
if a limb had to be amputated from the human body. However, despite this
occurrence, he continued to maintain me for a long period of time while I lived.
I had no idea why he did that. He had not only brought me home to maintain me,
he even went to the extent of trying to put me back into the most fertilised
soil for my growth. I had then guessed that he didn't want to lose me and felt
guilty for what he did, and decided to extend my survival through the time
while myself being rootless.
I had lived longer than expected. In fact, it was until one day, and unsurprisingly enough, I was left alone without him maintaining me as much. My bright yellow petals had decolourised to become a yellowish-brown and started to incline downwards even more.
Despite the
discolouration and the signs of my soon-enough death, I tried my best to
maintain my will to live for his sake. I had thought he will give the same, if
not almost equivalent, tender loving care that he had once given me, like the
last time when my roots were once cut. But I was wrong. He not only did not do
so, he left me alone without maintenance. In fact, he had begun to sew back the
hole that he once cut to cover up the sunlight. That’s when I fell to my most devastated
point and inclined downwards even more. From then on, I'd given in to the lack
of good conditions and lost my will to live and wilted with immense torment. Eventually,
you had to discard me for my life had come to an end and were already attracting
flies to buzz around the area where I was planted and grown at.
But deep inside my
core, I know I will never forget the second owner's tender loving care and
effortless maintenance, especially the time he had coloured my life to become a
brighter sunflower while being in the tranquil and unhappy nursery that I was
left alone at and eventually bringing me to his lovely home before my life came
to an end.
.
The short story entitled “Sunflower” is copyrighted only to the author.
Readers can read freely but this should not re-blogged, redistributed or
reposted.
©2012 Gillian Gan Li Zhen. All rights reserved.
©2012 Gillian Gan Li Zhen. All rights reserved.
_________________________________________________________________________________
This is dedicated to you, Mr N. Many thanks for colouring my life through my almost-horrible polytechnic days, for brightening me up and never failing to make me laugh and smile in my every day while schooling, and most importantly, being the lion-hearted man I’d once loved. I have believed you to be a very wonderful person, and still do. Through these italic texts and the post I’ve just typed, you would have found out the reasons why I've loved you so deeply.
To be honest, I still don’t know how I’ve stood in your heart from then until today as you've never dedicated anything much to me ever since the breakup.
I have always wanted to catch a real glimpse of you and physically feel your presence, but these have all been avoided from both parties so much that we don’t have such opportunities or what you call, chances, anymore
No comments:
Post a Comment